Service Delivery Experiment
So I was hired in mid-2004 to serve a client that is also the leader in global payments processing. Soon I was drinking from a fire hose .. Fun!
Today they generate 40% of my employer’s revenue and I have a team that serves them. Tom’s post on QAQNA responded to my question about a successful Customer Service Rep he knows over 12 years of his research. While I am not in the call center business, I/we(‘ve) apparently deployed her success factors: consistent service delivery, continuous improvement, attention to detail. More power to experiments!
Consistent Service Delivery:
1. CEO chanted service delivery idea daily and supported me a 100%
2. Guaranteed 24 hour response; 99% of the time reacted in <2 hours
3. Employed the Email experiment to think and work like the client team
4. Built a nifty tracking tool in Excel (no macros), pre-CRM Experiment
5. Treated client team first as the boss and then as a friend, ALWAYS
6. Function as the single point-of-contact for the client side team
1. Collaborate on weekly goals every Monday with the team member
2. Review weekly snapshot of KPIs and try to avoid micro-management
3. Keep upper management in loop regarding performance
4. Constant, constant, constant pat on the backs and "Good Jobs!"
5. Repeat the service delivery mantra to internal team on a daily basis
Attention to detail:
1. Review client updates on projects and pick out old and tough ones
2. Insure 100% compliance with client rules and procedures
3. Multiple records of client paperwork and communiques
4. CEO always kept in the loop about transactions and project updates
I can say that I was smart, but the truth is I was experimenting and unsure of the results. But in 9 months, we were recognized as a quality Top 3 provider and my brand experiment paid off as well. I definitely wonder if there is something more, in a professional services environment that I could have done better. While this is an ongoing process, to a certain extent I am basking in the glory of the victory!